Child, Adolescent & Adult Psychotherapy
Psychotherapy is a collaborative process used to explore and challenge the issues that stand between you and a fuller, more meaningful life. The ultimate goal of psychotherapy is to help clients address and change the problems that brought them into therapy. I work with individuals, children, adolescents, couples, and families to identify areas for improvement and develop the coping mechanisms necessary for their resolution. I am trained and experienced in using a variety of different approaches to therapy and I adapt many techniques according to your needs. I use Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) for issues such as perfectionism, rumination, and interpersonal conflict, Emotion-Focused Therapy (EFT) for emotional regulation and anger management, and I use mindfulness-based approaches to therapy such as diaphragmatic breathing and journaling to decrease both anxiety and panic attacks. My job is to work with you to determine the best approach to address your particular concerns within a relaxed, trusting, and collaborative process.
Below are a few of the common issues that I work on with clients.
- Trauma and PTSD
- Grief and loss
- Family conflict
- Mood disorders (e.g., depression, bipolar disorder)
- Anxiety-related disorders (e.g. phobias, panic attacks)
- Academic underachievement
- Problems managing life transitions
- Relationship difficulties
- Developing coping skills/finding balance
Our practice specializes in, but is not limited to, the assessment of Learning Disabilities (LD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), as well as Depression and Anxiety.
A thorough psychological assessment is used to measure and observe a client’s behaviour in order to arrive at a diagnosis (if applicable) and guide treatment. An assessment can be helpful to you by providing you with:
- a better understanding of your current concerns
- tools and strategies to help resolve problems
- identification of personal strengths and areas of resiliency
- additional resources to assist you